PINES | MEADOWS | PILGRIMS | PARAGLIDES | WATERFALLS | TEA GARDENS
Vagamon is a hill Station at 1100 m above sea level in Idukki district. Surrounded by three hills – Thangal Hill, Murugan Hill, Kurisimala presided by three deities of three different religions. A perfect place that depicts religious harmony.
Take the train from Bengaluru to Kottayam. Some beautiful snaps from the train here.
Day 1: Explore the property
1. Explore Illikkal Kallu hill with monolith on the way
End you exploration with pickled Pineapple to energize yourself.
2. Explore the beautiful Property ( https://www.vanillacounty.in/ )
Optional Places to visit on the way from Kottayam
- Marmala Waterfalls
- St. George Church ( Downy Horse Cemetery )
Optional activity from the property
- Swim at Rock Pool
Day 2: Vagamon City Exploration
Start your day with a wholesome Puttu for breakfast
1. Take a taxi and Head to Kurusumala ( Mountain of the Cross ) and trek all the way to the top of the hill
2. Trek the Murugan Hill – Lord Murugan Temple. Meet the peacock ( Lord Murugan’s vaahana ) on the way.
3. Relax at
Day 3: Nature walk – Explore Flora and Fauna
Take a taxi back to Kottayam, stop at St. Alphonso Pilgrimage center on the way.
Buy banana and Jackfruit chips on your way back and then depart from Kottayam to Bengaluru.
If you have an extra day,
- Kuttikanam – Parumthumpara viewpoint, Panchalimedu point ( 90 minutes ), Pattumalai Church, Kalvari mount
- St. Sebastian‘s church
- Palozhukum Para Waterfalls
- Valanjamkanam Waterfalls
- Vagamon falls and Vagamon Lake
- Justin’s point ( named after an off-roader Justin )
- Ginnamala ( named after a Danish lady called Ginna ) – great for Sunset
Other Flora & Fauna of interest: Orchids, Wild Buffaloes, Rare bird species
Other Activities: Rock Climbing/ Mountaineering
Total Expenses ( 2 nights, 3 Days )
- Train ( Round trip ): INR 3000 per head
- Hotel ( 2Nights, 3 Days ) : INR 9000 per head
- Taxi ( Pickup & Drop from Train Station and Day tour ): INR 3,000 per head ( Renault Triber )
- Jeep to Rock pool: INR 2000
- Dinner buffet : INR 600 per head
- Paragliding: INR 5000 per head
- Total expenses ~ INR 22,000 per head
Words of Wonder:
Guests can avail themselves of the library facilities, opening the eyes of their mind to the Written Word, or go for a quiet stroll through the lush surroundings, inclining the ear of their heart to the Word revealed in nature.
A visitor to the Ashram may be surprised by this apparent ‘busy’ness of the monks. Nevertheless, like the tranquil ‘eye’ in the middle of a cyclone, there lies, at the core of these activities, something that transcends the mundane realities of life.
The Food I relish most is the holy Eucharist. Ineffable joy wells up my soul every time the Lord who said “I am the Living Bread“, descends into me – The sayings of Saint Alphonso