“I always like walking in the rain, so no one can see me crying.”Charlie Chaplin
What are emotions?
If our eyes are the windows of our soul, then our emotions are the voice of our soul.
Emotions are faster than our intellect and they are deeper. Emotions reside in our bodies. Listen to your body and discover yourself. Listen to you innate intelligence to navigate. Listen to your gut for the guidance.
Why are emotions important?
Emotions are a gift to humankind. They hold the keys to your individual life’s journey. Listening to your emotions and understanding the message behind them is the key to knowing your unique gifts and also your limitations.
Can emotions be always trusted to guide us?
Not always. Emotions can be harmful or helpful. It all depends on how you access the subconscious to generate emotional states that are desirable to meet your life goals.
How to generate desirable emotional states?
Use your head to lead your heart. Use your heart to lead your head. But what to use first? or is it a continuous conversation between the two which ultimately lead to refinement?
Answer: Consciousness of every moment. Living and dying every moment to start afresh. Not holding on to anything in past. Not looking forward to the future. Just being in the present. Fully and only in the present. Staying curious and waiting for life to reveal itself. Revelling in the wait. Revelling in the great reveal. The reveal outside that reveals inside.
What are my desirable emotional states?
- Confidence and Self-esteem
- Compassion – my most desirable emotion for deepening relationships and building new connections
- Gratitude – my most desirable emotional state of all.
- Forgiveness – my most desirable state for peace and harmony
What are my most undesirable emotional states?
Listen to them and learn/grow from them.
Look for ongoing recurring pains and eliminate them by replacing with more positive emotions.
What makes me achieve these desirable emotional states?
- Learning on almost everything life has to offer
- Leading People on Self-mastery
- Sharing my learning
- Yoga and mindfulness practices
- Journaling and blogging
- Wholesome food
- Quality time with Partner
- Chilling with Friends
- Deep conversations
- History and Civilisation
I do more of the above things to make myself happy all the time.
Tips for healing and grounding yourself:
- Do not leave any conversation incomplete. Ensure Manasa-Vacha-Karmana. Total alignment of your thought, speech and deed.
- Be authentic and learn to say NO if you do not like or disagree with something.
- Learn to “agree to disagree.” Celebrate your views and also honour other’s for theirs.
- Learn to forgive and accept the flaws in yourself and others.
- Learn to relax and take it easy. Make humour your friend.
- Express and accept your limitation and boundaries. Be authentic and real.
Emotional states can be created consciously. With consistent effort and practice, you could become a master of your emotions. You can create tranquillity whenever you want and wherever you are. How?
Your THOUGHTS – Your WORDS – Your ACTIONS. Align them all.
Here are some practices to help you to deal with the overwhelm of emotions:
- Breathe deep and long. Practice exhaling more than inhale.
- Go on nature walks all by yourself. Nature is the ultimate healer.
- Listen to soothing and relaxing music.
- Watch and hear the sights and sound of gently flowing water
- Drink water slowly enjoying every sip.
- Put your feet under water or take a dip in water to ground yourself.
- Surround yourself with animals, birds, flowers and trees.
- Hanging out with friends
- Quieten your mind through meditation or prayer or other mindfulness practices.
- Practice Wu Wei for atleast 10 minutes everyday
- Social support/ecosystem
- Talk to a psychotherapist/counsellor
Here are some coping mechanisms to avoid:
- Self-medicate ( Substance abuse )
- Behaviours that cover up the pain
- Behaviours that postpone the pain
Pain, Loss, Failure, Disappointments – These are common in everyone’s life. However, they are also opportunities to learn from and grow into a more emotionally aware and resilient person. All the best!!
There are few misfortunes in this world that you can’t turn into a personal triumph if you have the necessary skillNelson Mandela
The wound is the place the LIGHT enters youRumi
Listen More. Feel More. Live More.